Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tales From Amnesia (Chapter 2: Mr. Chair)




Weeks after Stephano’s death, Daniel meets an old man in the woods. He was a wood cutter and craftsman. He made chairs, tables and such. He introduced himself as ‘Mr. Stol’.

Mr. Stol was an Englishman with a gray moustache and a hat. He wore a monocle and loved tea and warm drinks. He was also a sensible and funny man who always makes mistakes, and is afraid of the dark.

Daniel was always the one who helped Mr. Stol with his carpentry and always tested out whether the chairs are durable or not.

“Mr. Stol, I have a question.”

“Yes, my boy?”

“Why is your name Mr. Stol?”


“Well, that’s because ‘Stol’ means ‘Chair’. And as you can see, I like making chairs, don’t I?”

“So can I also call you Mr. Chair? Heheh.”

The old man laughed. “Heheheh, well of course…anything you want!”

However, on one afternoon, Daniel was yet called again early by his father for dinner. He had this weird gut feeling again, but he had no choice but to go home.

On that night, the same angry mob who killed Stephano rushed in to the cabin of Mr. Stol.

“W-what do you want from me? I’m just an old carpenter you see…I have no money…I have nothing except for wood…”

“Yeah right…” said one of the mob. “We’ll see about that.”

On the next day, Daniel went back to Mr. Stol’s cabin. He knelt in tears and shock as he saw the old man’s body cut into pieces with an axe.

“Those bastards…those old creeps…they’ll pay for this!”

He then buries the old man the same way as Stephano. And then, he later discovers that Mr. Stol was actually a rich Englishman who kept his treasure hidden inside his cabin, but it was stolen for some reason. There were bits and pieces of gold coins.

Daniel then examines the tree and the pieces of wood.

“Someday, when I become rich, I’ll make chairs from this kind of wood…in memory of Mr. Stol.”

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment